1.16.2012

Martin Luther King Jr. Day


This morning, I talked with the boys about Martin Luther King Jr. and his mission. They remembered watching the "I Have a Dream" speech last year. Mostly, they wanted to argue about why "all of their friends" (this is a joke in itself because most of their friends are homeschooled!) didn't have school today, but we did. "So unfair!"

What always surprises me when we discuss race and racial tensions and the way things used to be in America is the fact that they really can't comprehend living in a world like that. We are about to bring a baby girl into our family. We love her already and can't wait to squeeze her and kiss her. She happens to have brown skin. That's the way our boys look at it. They are completely color blind and I am so thankful for that. They truly don't understand why white people owned black people as slaves in the past. Noah has read a lot of American history books this year, so he's learned a lot about slavery and the way slaves were treated.

We ended our discussion by reminding each other that God created every person and we are all equal in His sight. I am so thankful for my boys and their love for all people.

No comments: